Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Books arrived...

I am so excited that my books arrived!  I spent my birthday money from my mom (thanks mom!) on new HS books.  Since my children haven't started school, and won't for a while, I am spending my spare time (what little there is) on reading up on different HS philosophies of education.  I am really leaning towards using Charlotte Mason's philosophy, as it seems to encompass the type of education I would like to give my children and it is biblical/Christian based too!  There is also a free, Catholic curriculum called Mater Amabilis, which is very helpful.

Some of the books I got are (I tried to link the books to where I got them from, especially when I purchased them from Catholic sources!):

For the Children's Sake, Foundations of Education for Home and School, by Susan Schaeffer Macaulay

Pocketful of Pinecones, Nature Study with the Gentle Art of Learning, by Karent Andreola 

The Harp and Laurel Wreath, Poetry and Dictation for the Classical Curriculum, by Laura M. Berquist (I am currently awaiting her other book called Designing Your Own Curriculum: A Guide to Catholic Home Education.  I am really excited about her books, as Mrs. Berquist is going to be a speaker at the IHM North Texas Homeschool Conference this summer.  I hope to attend!)

When Children Love to Learn, A Practical Application of Charlotte Mason's Philosophy for Today, by Elaine Cooper

The Original Homeschool Series, by Charlotte Mason

A Charlotte Mason Companion, by Karen Andreola (actually purchased from Half Price Books)

The Religious Potential of the Child, by Sofia Cavalletti

The Good Shepherd & The Child, A Joyful Journey, by Sofia Cavalletti, Patricia Coulter, Gianna Gobbi, Silvana Q. Montanaro, M.D.

Man, o man...do I have some reading to do!  Thank the Lord my children are still in diapers!  ;)

(Picture: Carlo Dolci (1616-1687), Saint Catherine reading a book, Residenzgalerie, Salzburg)

Blessings,

Stacy

No comments:

Post a Comment